To become a DONA International certified birth doula:
Attend a Dona approved birth doula workshop of 16 or more hours in length. Certification must be completed within four (4) years of attending the birth doula workshop.
Read 6 books from the required reading list and the DONA International Birth doula website.
Download the Birth Doula Required Reading List go to http://www.dona.org/
Purchase a birth doula certification packet. Each packet expires within two (2) years of purchase.
Complete one of the following:
A. Training in Childbirth Education or Midwifery
B. Work experience in Labor and Delivery as a Registered Nurse
C. Observation of a 12 hour Childbirth Preparation series (not as an expectant parent) or "Introduction to Childbirth Education" class offered in conjunction with an approved DONA birth doula workshop, 7 ceu's.
Submit at least one of the following:
- Proof of completion of lactation consultant, breastfeeding peer counselor or community breastfeeding educator training.
- Proof of completion of an online study program. Lactation Education Resources offers a basic, “Complete Self-Learning Program” that is affordably priced.
Provide doula service to a minimum of three clients after taking the training course and buying the certification packet. The births documented must meet the following criteria:
- They occur after you attend a DONA International-approved workshop of 16 hours or more. Labor support must begin before or at the onset of the active phase of labor. For certification purposes, active labor will be considered 4 centimeters.
- The three births combined must have the doula present for a minimum of 15 hours total.
- Your presence as the birth doula must be continuous.
- You must remain for the birth of the baby to provide immediate postpartum support.
- Every vaginal exam must be documented on the Birth Record Sheet’s Labor Progression Chart.
- Cesarean births may account for only one of the three required birth experiences.
Document each of the three births for which you provide labor support with:
A. DONA International Birth Record Sheet go to http://www.dona.org/
B. A 500-700 word account of each birth
C. Client Confidentiality Release Form
Provide good Evaluations of your doula services from at least three clients, three primary care providers and three nurses or midwives.
Only applies to those that purchase a birth certification packet on or after 8/8/07.
A complete list of local resources. 30 Categories 45 contacts. Please elaborate a little on each contact. EX: Chiropractor Lucinda Marsh sugar grove, PA 16350 phone # and she does the Webster technique or tell a bit about a Dr. that is ok with an alternative vaccination plan, etc.
Read and sign the DONA International Code of Ethics and the DONA International Standards of Practice.
A type written essay on the value and purpose of labor support
Payment of certification processing fee.
Verify that you are a current member of DONA International. Join (in the doula boutique) at http://www.dona.org/
*Note, only after you are a certified DONA International doula will your contact information be on our web site if you desire.
** See the certification price list for more information in the dona website.
For additional information, refer to the DONA International Birth Doula Certification Kit, available at the DONA boutique. in http://www.dona.org/